Re: Using Linux as a boot loader -- status and RFH

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 12:56:24PM -0500, Eric Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 05:08:07PM +0000, Jason wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, why not just run the bootloader kernel?
>
> That would probably be fine on a dedicated embedded system, where you
> never plan to change the kernel once it does what you want.  But I'm
> planning to continue to run Debian on this device, and will want to
> update the kernel along with the rest of the packages on the system on
> a regular basis.
>
> > Have you tried compiling the commandline options into the kernel
> > you're trying to kexec?  eg CONFIG_CMDLINE
>
> I don't think I need to.  The --append option to kexec seems to work
> fine. (See the boot transcript in the thread I referenced -- the
> command line is being passed correctly.)
>
> > Do you have a write-up somewhere?
>
> Not yet.  All I've done so far is a minimal kernel config and a
> simple-minded rootfs with busybox and kexec-tools.  I'll write a HOWTO
> if I can ever get it actually working.

Is using an updated u-boot build with the ability to boot a kernel from
mass storage inconvinent for some reason?  After all there is u-boot
support for disks, and filesystems and loading kernel images as well as
tftp boot support and such.

--
Len Sorensen