Re: Using Linux as a boot loader -- status and RFH

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Eric Cooper <ecc@cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 04:18:30AM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> in other words, you _can't_ just "run a random kernel", because when
>> you start up a kernel "from scratch", the machine state is assumed to
>> be from "cold boot".  i.e. no ongoing DMA, no non-maskable interrupts,
>> no watchdog timers, nothing.
>
> But that is exactly what kexec() does, apparently successfully on
> most platforms, just not (yet) on the kirkwood variant I'm using.

 it does??  deep joy.

*sigh* ok then the only thing i can suggest is to take a mem-dump /
printout of all the registers etc. at the time, from both u-boot as
well as just before the kexec() call, and compare them, painstakingly,
one by one.

 other than that: do you have access to the JTAG port at all?  find
out what the heck the CPU's _really_ doing?  reverse-engineering the
hw6915 4 years ago it was the low-level stuff that had me stumped
(suspend/resume in that case) and no, on a £400 mobile phone i wasn't
going to go digging up the PCB to get at the JTAG port :)

l.