Re: Porting Debian to the Excito B3

Le jeudi 27 janvier 2011, u7l11ey@mail.lrz-muenchen.de a écrit :
> If I understand the Excito documentation correctly, the B3 is based on
> Squeeze and runs standard Debian packages.

That is right, except the kernel and the web-based interface.

> So, from a naive user's perspective, what would be the advantage of a
> "native pure Debian" system as opposed to what's available now?

For a basic user, none. For an advanced user, being able to install it
easily rather than relying on what was provided would be useful:
• for security reasons;
• for flexibility, for instance to have as much FS as possible under
  LVM.

But the current situation (pre-installed Debian with / out of LVM,
custom kernel) is satisfying for most people. And for those who prefer
installing a pure Debian by themselves, Qnap TS-119 is a good
alternative, although it has a bigger form factor.

--
 ,--.
: /` )   Tanguy Ortolo <xmpp:tanguy@ortolo.eu> <irc://irc.oftc.net/Elessar>
| `-'    Debian Maintainer