WD green drive

I was thinking about the

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB
Which newwegg has for $49.95 free shipping.  The WD util  seems to be only for
certain models and they warn against using it on any others. This model is not
included.

>From the wd site....

This firmware modifies the behavior of the drive to wait longer before
positioning the heads in their park position and turning off unnecessary
electronics.  This utility is designed to upgrade the firmware of the  following
hard drives: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0,  WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0.

This is for util - wdidle3_1_05.zip

So not sure wether this drive is a good choice or not. I am not sure what the
stock head park time is but I guess you could always cron something to access
the disk at a higher rate than the park timeout.

There is a really confusing amount of stuff out there about the new drives and
Linux!

Doug

Doug Crompton
WA3DSP