Re: single device to replace ADSL router, WiFi/Ethernet router, SIP router?

Hi Paul,

Interesting question. I'm also interested in what devices come out of
this discussion.

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a way to replace my current home network infrastructure
> with a single device running Debian. I currently have these devices:

[SNIP: Siemens SpeedStream 4200, Netgear WGR614L, Minitar MVA11A, old
Panasonic cordless phone]

> I'm looking for a single device (to reduce cabling) to replace this:

Are you looking for embedded device or PC-style (mainboard with
extension cards) solution.

>      * it needs to run Debian or have at least some potential to do
>        that. I don't want to have to deal with any pre-installed OSes,
>        custom old OpenWRT builds running Linux 2.4 or other stupidity.

OpenWRT would be my choice for embedded devices. I currently run 2.6
kernel on 2 WRT54G devices (as AP) and have no issues.

>      * it needs either FXO/FXS ports or some sort of cordless phone
>        integrated with it.

There are WiFi SIP phones out there. With a SIP provider there is no
need for any analog connection.
Also some OpenWRT supported devices have FXO/FXS. It's worth wile to
have a look at OpenWRT's table of hardware [1]

[1] <http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start>

>      * it needs to have ADSL2+ support,

The ADSL (PCI-)cards I found all implement a modem with a network
card. The network card is detected by the OS and you manage the ADSL
modem by telnet. Other than the cable there is no advantage.

[SNIP, some more items]

One device I think may be compatible with your list is the AVM
FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7170, which is on OpenWRT toh.

My setup is split into multiple boxes, but cabling wise I think it's manageable.
I have a Speedtouch ST780WL in PPPoA  to PPTP mode, a PCengines ALIX
board with OpenWRT on CF and a separate switch.
I do not use VoIP.

GRTNX,
RobJE