Re: Debian on Nokia N900?

On Oct 30, 2011, at 11:45, Sebastian Reichel wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 07:51:45PM +0300, Victor Nitu wrote:
>> On 10/29/2011 10:42 AM, Sebastian Reichel wrote:
>>
>>> I may package the 3D stuff for Debian's non-free repository, but not
>>> before the modem is working and the new omap KMS driver is ready.
>>>
>>> -- Sebastian
>>
>> How can one be of any help to this project? It is pretty much what I
>> had in mind, Debian + e17 / illume. Haven't found any BTS/wiki or
>> anything similar for it, excepting the ring0 blog. Maybe I (and
>> others) can qualify as contributor(s) somewhere.
>> I will give it a try in ~1h, so keep in touch, I hope to provide
>> valuable feedback soon.
>> Thanks for the info and links, you really gave me a head start!
>
> uhm just package what you need ;). I would really like to see the
> basic applications from Maemo in Debian (contacts, calendar,
> conversations, ...), since I really like the way they are
> intergrated in Maemo.

I agree, some of them are pretty nice apps.

> The problem is, that most of them are closed source, so a
> rewrite would be needed :(

I'm on the "maemo council" and am happy to complain about this to people who might (or might not) listen. The maemo council is but a shell of its former self and it wasn't much to begin with - at least ocmpared to Debian's Technical Council. I have no problem poking Nokia to either open source or give us some equivalent software or at least point us in the right direction. I think they will be glad about the interest because they need to have this stuff too. Yes, they're moving to another platform, but there are various projects that need to ensure touch frameworks and other various userland stuff works well with the Linux kernel. They have concrete plans for maemo in its present form at least for one more year, MeeGo/Maemo will likely live at least till 2016, and Qt, Swipe and Kernel stuff will be around for many years.

> The good thing is, that some things have already been rewritten
> by the Community SSU project and can be packaged. See [0].

They have done some good work there, and this project was mostly a community thing but I think Nokia is contributing here as well.

> If you'r interested in Bluetooth you may also want to find out
> what's needed @ kernel level and why it's not in the mainline
> kernel.

That would be very interesting to know, I'll bring it up with Nokia.

> In short: There is more than enough work for you. This
> is currently done on by me:
>
> * Get touchscreen platform code into mainline kernel, update
>   Debian patch
> * Push mainline kernel developers to include the HSI framework
>   needed for the N900's modem (It looks like it will
>   be included in linux 3.3 [1]).
> * Package new omap kms driver [2]. The Xorg driver is already
>   in Debian as xserver-xorg-video-omap. I will probably prepare
>   a DMKS package until it is in the mainline kernel (hopefully in
>   linux 3.3, too).

Thanks for all your contributions Sebastian, I use your software!

Regards,

Jeremiah