Re: My progress on armhf: xf86-video-msm for armhf attempt. Please test.

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 01:49:49PM +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
> > Interworking is a madatory of the ARM EABI.  As mentioned above,
> > interworking is basically free on armv5 and later architectures.  It
> > should never be disabled.
>
> Wel the gcc in armhf has it off by default, and the description says
> it makes the code larger.

Like I said, the -mthumb-interwork option isn't meaningful in this context.
Don't beleieve everything you misread and misunderstand.  All all EABI based
targets, and all armv5+ code have interworking enabled by default (in the
latter case there is no code size penalty).

> So since armhf is by choice thumb2 all the
> time, why would it need interworking code for non thumb code it will
> never encounter?

It's a choice that *you* have made for the code that you build.  Third party
applications/libraris can and do use ARM mode.

Also the compiler and linker sometimes choose to use ARM mode (e.g. for
PLT/branch stubs). If you want pure thumb code then you must to target an
architecture variant that does not include ARM mode instruction.

> Doesn't the EABI also specify using softfp for float passing?  Well armhf
> explicitly chooses not to do that either for performance reasons.

The EABI allows coprocessors supplements to define variants of the calling
conventions.  The VFP ABI used by armhf is one of these.

Paul