Re: Do I want to debootstrap Debian armhf on my iMX53 board?

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:15:40PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> No my reading is that you are moving R46 so that you use the dipswitch
> instead of the fixed pullup.  To make the dip switch work you have to
> move the "hard coded" resistor.  I see no mention of moving resistors
> when setting different settings on the dip switch (which would be silly
> after all), so if the dip switch had been preinstalled and the resister
> pre configured for dip switch use, then life would have been much much
> simpler.

I am pretty sure I saw another document that indicated what each dip
switch position did for boot config, but I saw that yesterday and can't
seem to find it today.  Reading through all of that PDF seems to give
an idea what most of the dip switch settings do, although it does not
make clear if you have to change any of the existing resistors to make
all the dip switch settings usable.

I especially like "After initial testing of the Quick Start board,
the optimum BOOT_CFG settings for flexibility and ease of use were
determined."

Well my life and ease of use would have been improved by having SATA boot,
but now I can't have that.  So they clearly determined wrong.  Also
anyone using this as a reference board to develop their own board would
almost certainly have prefered having simple ways to actually test the
configuration they intended to use.  I think freecale clearly messed
up here.  Oh well.  Not sure how removing options is considered optimum
flexibility.

Of course direct SATA boot does have a problem too.  You can't possibly
use GPT as your partition format if you want direct SATA boot since the
u-boot location has to be at 1k, and GPT requires the first 33 sectors
of the device.  Only really a problem for large disks, or for people that
like a better partition format.  U-boot on the microsd wouldn't have a
problem with that of course.

--
Len Sorensen