Re: Freescale iMX53 Quick Start board

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Phil Endecott
<spam_from_debian_arm@chezphil.org> wrote:

> I don't know what they've done on the Trimslice.  My understanding of the Tegra
> is that it doesn't have SATA but it does have PCIe, so in principle that could
> be used with a controller chip to provide fast SATA.

 single-lane PCI-e is still only gigabit, phil, and SATA-II is 3.0
gb/s.  so it still really doesn't cut the mustard.  you'd need a 4x
PCI-e to meet the SATA-II specification, and that would mean you'd
have a) lots of pins b) lots of heat. c) an expensive system.

 you really really want a SoC that already has the required interfaces
built-in.  if they're built-in, you aren't driving some wires at mad
speeds and wasting heat to do it.

 l.