Squeeze on Thecus N2100

Due to the long-standing DMA issues, I'm still running lenny on my Thecus
N2100. I'd quite like to upgrade it, however.

Has anyone got a solution: either running the old kernel, patching the
new one or has the performance somehow improved in newer kernels?

I'd also be interested to know if anyone has tried patching the new
kernel and failed as I don't want to spend effort if it isn't going to
be possible. Same goes for attempting to run a lenny kernel on squeeze.

Thanks

Oliver