Re: Anyone here made a "TV computer"?

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Tim Small <tim@buttersideup.com> wrote:
> On 11/04/11 00:02, Phil Endecott wrote:
>

> I run mythtv on amd64, but haven't tried it on arm.  It's a bit
> idiosyncratic, and fiddly to set up, but does a lot once you have it
> running.  I use packages from here:
>
> http://debian-multimedia.org/
>
>> Tegra devices are a bit stronger as
>> they have mini-pcie which could be connected up to SATA, but I've not found any
>> actually-available hardware that does that.
>>

> Mini pcie SiI3132 SATA card at a reasonable price:
>
> http://www.bvm-store.com/ProductDetail.asp?fdProductId=631

 ... actually... there's a thought: have a look on the openbricks.org
web site, there's a mini pci-e video conversion card from broadcomm
(with proprietary firmware of course) which i believe is HD capable.
http://www.openbricks.org/2010/12/05/support-for-broadcom-crystalhd-video-decoder-has-landed/

 you *might* be able to get away with something like an OpenRD
Ultimate in combination with that broadcom card (if you can tolerate
non-free firmware) because the OpenRD Ultimate of course already has
SATA, so you can use its PCI-e interface for the video converter.

 has anyone ever plugged in a PCI-e card into an OpenRD?  do you know
if, if you do so, it switches off the Volari Z11 graphics IC?  i.e.
can you use the Z11 as well as plugging in an external PCI-e card?

l.