Re: Finalizing Intel NAS SS4000-E installation

JF Straeten wrote on 20101221:
>> 20101221_151219 hans@stor:~/ uname -a
>> Linux stor 2.6.32-5-iop32x #1 Fri Dec 10 19:47:27 UTC 2010 armv5tel GNU/Linux
>
> Are you happy with the 2.6.32 performances ?

So far the installation works perfectly. I've replaced a broken 1 TB
disk with a 2 TB unit and all is well. Running Debian on the ss4000e is
a lot better than the IPstor distribution with which the unit came, no
surprises there ;-) I'm still amazed the IPstor distribution did not
have SMART support for the disks, nor had it badblocks installed. Weird.

The disk IO performance of the ss4000e is very bad and AFAIK a known
issue. I'm not sure what the cause is. Any pointers welcome ;-)

I get 6240313.95 bytes/sec rsync over nfs to raid5, and 7352449.11
bytes/sec rsync over nfs to a plain ext4 slice.

I might need to tune the wait time for the park position of the (new)
drive. Any recommendations ?

I've installed Debian on the first harddisk. Say I want to boot from one
of the others, how can I configure this in RedBoot ? ( I don't see any
pointers in fconfig -l or the exec line) Or must I generate a new
ramdisk.gz ? That would be awkward.

-- Hans