Re: ARMv4-support in armel/squeeze?

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
> Does the
> popularity-contest info record any CPU details? It would be helpful
> for having some idea of the mix currently in use.

It doesn't.  I suggested this to its maintainer a few months ago, and
they agreed that it would be useful.

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
>  * i remember neil said he spent months - almost a year - on the armel port

"Neil"? I spent 2006 working to bootstrap the armel port, of which the
first 6 months were getting a working EABI cross-compiler (partly
because the emdebian crowd, who seemed to know more about it, urged me
to; in reality you have to build Debian packages natively) and the
last 6 months were spent doing exactly the circular dependency
workarounding that has been described here. I got to 91 of the 114
required packages and these were published by Wookey in November.
Lennert Buytenhek then completed it in two months. Who's Neil?

>  * each and every time someone does a new port, all the knowledge and
> expertise is re-learned, re-discovered... and then lost.

I asked the same kind of question back then.  The answer is that you
have to get to a point where you can natively build the 114 packages
that you need to be able to natively build packages (both those and
others) and the most convenient mechanism to do that varies according
to the available resources, for example other OS's using the same ABI
that can be Debianized sufficiently to fool package builders into
thinking they are running on Debian.  This part is different for each
port.
  However, I agree that some kind of guide would be useful to future porters