Re: Re: arm to armel and the missing ingredients

Wookey writes on 22 Nov 2010  13:29:09 +0000:
+++ Jeffrey Green [2010-11-22 06:12 -0500]:
After making it to the other side of that river without a serial port upgrade on my slugs, I can comment
on a few of the items not mentioned in the Debian Wiki Howto [1].

That's really useful info. Thak you far taking the trouble to write it
dow. Can you add it to the http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiHowto? (or
do a new page with the slug crossgrade info refrenceed from there?)

I'll put the link in but I do wikispeak so infrequently that a whole page at the moment may not fit in.

This will make life enormousely easier for anyone following you.

I was doing my post from home and therefore from memory and forgot a few
tidbits that might or will help.

The dropbear install didn't finish since it couldn't start up with one dropbear already running. Doing a quick mod, adding an exit, on the init.d/dropbear and then finishing the configuration, and lastly undoing the mod takes care of that.

Also if an armel kernel is installed then the flash-kernel package needs to be installed at the same time. Also for those unfamiliar with the initrd build process, use update-initramfs to build one on the slug.

If the old /etc is not used directly, then users need to be added with passwords. Check that they work, in the chroot env. before switching. Also, the /e/network/interfaces and the /etc/hosts* files need to be moved. I did one conversion one way, and the second with keeping the old etc in place. Keeping the old etc in place makes life much easier. However, one can get something of a fresh start by going with the new etc.

And IMPORTANTLY, the /lib/firmware/NPE-B* files/links need to be moved/created else networking won't network.

The stty settings that I used (4800baud) were:

# on the slug:
500:5:cbc:8a33:3:1c:7f:15:4:0:1:0:11:13:1a:0:12:f:17:16:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0

# on the machine accessing the slug:
2143:0:2bc:0:3:1c:7f:15:4:0:0:0:11:13:1a:0:12:f:17:16:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0

I needed to reset them after starting up ttyd and termnet. The reset after ttyd also was a good reminder about having the USB-serial adapter connected.

Even just a link from there to this email in the archives will be helpful.

I'm sure you are not the last because I haven't done mine yet. :-)

Your working kernel binaries would also be useful just to save others
the faff of rebuilding that. A debian package would be even better of
course.

I just need a place to put it. It is a debian package sort of, i.e. a .deb . However, it has a few failings, mentioned in the previous message.

When I started this little project, the Debian Wiki page was all that I could find. A search now may produce other attempts. I've had a few ideas of alternate approaches, but since my slugs are used for production backups I didn't have a lot of incentive to experiment. One idea is to just use an external machine to move things about. This approach would negate the need to drop down into singel user mode. An EABI compatible kernel would still be needed. Another idea is just to try the stock armel kernels with arm to see if they'll boot up. One needs to save a flash image of the working kernel before doing that since if it doesn't work, the slug will need to be reflashed.

I think that may be all that I have to offer for the moment. I'll get the link to this thread on the wiki page though I may need to play in the sandbox for a bit to get it right.

later,
-jeff