Re: Multiarch and ABI support

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010, Hector Oron wrote:
> Sysroot is everybody's way to cross compile in world but us (Debian)
> if multiarch aims to be a fit-all solution it should be relevant, if
> it is not, either you might misunderstood sysroot rationale or I just
> should be stop loosing time on multiarch. Maybe multiarch just needs
> to setup sysroot=/ and change FHS for upstreams to follow, which it is
> not something it happens in couple months.

 Cross-compiling with the current sysroot implementation does not allow
 picking up libs and headers from FHS or multiarch pathnames, e.g. if I
 create an armel chroot, I can't point my cross-compiler at it and have
 it pick up target headers/libs from there, even with sysroot.

 For the same reason, you can't generate a chroot following the
 FHS or multiarch directory layouts using a cross-compiler + sysroot.

 Using Debian as a build environment with a cross-compiler and sysroot
 to generate a target rootfs is fine, but it's not very well suited for
 generating a target Debian rootfs.

--
Loïc Minier