Re: cortex / arm-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi (was Re: armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant)

On Friday 16 July 2010 10:47:40 Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> Have this 30% have actually been measured on such applications?

how can I benchmark the desktop? It feels faster, that's definite.

> If softfp is already 10x faster, does the additional 30% between softfp
> and hardfp really worth it? Do we need to switch to hardfp instead of
> softfp, while only the second one needs a new port?

No, no, softfp is faster than _soft_, which is, well, irrelevant here. We're
not comparing to soft, we're comparing softfp vs hardfp. The point is that the
cpus in the particular family are more than able to perform much better than
they are right now, and it's only a case of recompilation.

> Picking the right name is probably lest than 0.0001% of the work...

Yes, but we seem to get stuck even there. Anyway, assuming we pick a name that
Debian likes, would Debian assist us and -if successful- eventually adopt the
port?
I'm aware of the hard work needed, but imho, it's more than worth it.

Konstantinos