Re: cortex / arm-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi (was Re: armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant)

On Friday 16 July 2010 07:14:17 Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> No comment needed. Such results are consistent with all math functions that
>  I have tested (cosf, tanf, expf, etc). Speed gain is accumulative, so in
>  say a rotation matrix function, with (usually) 2 cosf+2 sinf calls, the
>  speed gain would be ~20%. Add some more math optimizations, and we end up
>  to the ~30-35% speed gain we reached. Still don't believe me?

Rereading that, I realise this might be misunderstood. The 20% comes from the
rotation functions being rather small in size and fast, in fact most of the
time wasted in such a function comes from the sinf/cosf calls, it's obviously
not the case in bigger functions with lots of calculations where a sinf would
only take a miniscule amount of time -eg. software renderers like blender. A
gain in sinf() would benefit there as well, but not as much. Though I do
intend to measure blender in the future. Anyway, just a clarification.

Konstantinos