Re: cortex / arm-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi (was Re: armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant)

Hello,

2010/7/15, Paul Brook <paul@codesourcery.com>:
> It isn't. "Cortex" is the marketing name for the current set of CPU core
> implementations designed by ARM ltd.  Calling the armv7 port "cortex" is
> equivalent to calling the i686 port "pentium" [1].

But i?86 is ABI compatible, while ARM ABI is a full mess AFAICS and
those ABI are incompatible, requiring new Debian architectures.

> [1] Those paying attention will note that not all pentium cores are i686.
> The
> Cortex family includes cores that are not armv7 (Specifically armv6-m).

M profiles are out of the scope of the port, only A profiles are
interesting and maybe R when compatible.

While the name does not seem to conflict within Debian. It seems that
Ubuntu/Linaro have a problem with it, and too many politics seem to
happen. I would like to have a name that suits all of us (not only
Ubuntu/Linaro, but any other posible third party). Maybe Ubuntu/Linaro
could develop the way arround the naming if it does not suit them?

It was said, the one that bootstraps the port, picks the name.

Genesi has always been kind to Debian Developers, giving hardware
away, and paying people to do the work, they are really commited to
Debian at the moment, and it would be nice (from my point of view) to
have a Debian port with such characteristics in Debian.

I would also like to state that I am (like Debian) commercial
independent, nor Genesi pays me, nor Ubuntu/Linaro pays me. My
interest is best for Debian community and good support for my prefered
gadgets with my prefered distribution.

Cheers and have a good day,
--
 Héctor Orón