Re: armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant

On 09/07/10 21:40, Paul Brook wrote:
[...]
> There are several variants of VFPv3. Some have the additional registers
> (typically the implementations that also have NEON), some do not. VFPv3 also
> introduces some new instructions, so even the variants with the restricted
> register file will not work on VFPv2 hardware (e.g. arm11).
[...]
> You mean VFPv3 v.s. VFPv2? Saying ARMv7 when you actually mean a particular
> FPU is extremely unhelpful.

Indeed; I've only ever experienced one variant of VFPv3 on ARMv7 devices
and assumed it was mandated in the spec. (And I didn't want to get in to
the horrible maze of VFP variants.)

This just makes it even more important that any hypothetical FPU-based
Debian variant thinks very, very carefully about the ABI it uses. There
is a standard EABI variant for passing parameters in FPU registers ---
but is it sufficiently common to be useful in a cross-platform OS? Are
there devices that claim to support VFP that *don't* support this ABI?

│ "Blue is beautiful... blue is best...
│ I'm blue! I'm beautiful! I'm best!"
│ --- _Dougal and the Blue Cat_