Re: armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant

A couple of inaccuracies:

> These are configured by the gcc flags: -mfloat-abi={soft,softfp,hard}.
> Softfp is the default in pretty much every distro out there (incl. Ubuntu,
> Debian, etc). Only some OpenEmbedded builds have enabled hardfp, but these
> are too specialized.

Debian is pure soft-float (i.e. -mfloat-abi=soft).

> Don't ask me why this was so, I don't know the historical reasons for
> having this behaviour in ARM cpus. While binaries built using (a) will run
> on each of the two other ABIs, softfp and hardfp are incompatible with
> each other -I know I tried and I had it verified by ARM engineers as well.

-mfloat-abi=soft and -mfloat-abi=softfp are binary compatible (objects and
libraries can be freely mixed). Obviously softfp code will will only work on a
CPU with an FPU, but that's not different to (say) armv5 v.s. armv6 or vfpv2
v.s. vfpv3.

-mfloat-abi=hard is not compatible with either of the other -mfloat-abi
options.

Paul