Re: guruplug notes

On 05/23/2010 07:36 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> More notes on the way when i sort anything else out.

Thanks primarily to a really stupid keyboard slipup, i now have a
guruplug running entirely debian code (with the exception of uboot,
which is running 2010.03-01266-g42f7128, compiled by Clint).

The slipup was when i tried to replace uboot, i accidentally erased
*all* the NAND instead of just replacing the first 1MB (corresponding to
/dev/mtd0).

The uboot upgrade involved fetching the file from a local TFTP server:

setenv serverip 192.168.99.99
setenv ipaddr 192.168.99.55
tftp 0x6400000 guru/u-boot.kwb
nand erase 0 0x100000
nand write.e 0x6400000 0x0 0x100000

But instead of "nand erase 0 0x100000", i slipped and hit enter when the
command was simply "nand erase".  DO NOT DO THIS IT WILL NUKE YOUR
ENTIRE FLASH!  heh.  it's fast, though ;)

so anyway, i was starting from scratch.  using the new uboot, I fetched
the uImage and uInitrd i'd made earlier (with MODULES=all, about 6MiB in
size).   Fortunately, the NIC worked fine from the initramfs shell i got
dropped into.

I used the shell in initramfs (and a local server) to fetch and unpack
enough packages into the initramfs to pull off a stock debootstrap.

I'm currently still booting the device from the kernel/initrd over tftp.
 I hope to followup with tbm's suggestion of the new flash-kernel to get
it back to an all-local boot sometime in the next few days.

At that point, i'll start looking at the wireless business again.

I'm happy to answer questions if folks have them.

	--dkg

PS Is there some reason uboot itself is not in debian?  or is it, and i
just don't know how to look for it?