Re: anyone interested in grouping together to get better pricing than $130 on ARM 7in Netbooks?

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> also, just so you know: i'll be buying at least one of these to give
>> to anyone willing to port debian onto it (they're that cheap, duh).
>> it already has some sort of random linux distro on it but it would be
>> nice to have it done as a "proper" debian HOWTO etc. etc.
>
> I'd be willing to do that. I should be able to get Debian Installer working
> on it. So, if your plan goes ahead I'm interested in your donation.

 well, you're the first to reply, and we're definitely going ahead
(regardless of how many people say they want to join in) so, tag,
you're it :)

 i just wish these manufacturers would get their act together and
produce 9in and 10in ARM netbooks.  there seems to be some sort of
mis-match (of their own expectations) that a 600 or 700mhz ARM CPU
somehow wouldn't be "good enough" to run a 1024x600 or 1280x800 LCD,
which is complete rubbish.  anyway - the new apple tablet is set to
dispel that myth, but not for a few months yet.

so, this is "getting in early" with the silly-sized screen, see how it goes.

 l.