Re: Which hardware for Squeeze

On 08.01.2010, at 16:53, "Paul van der Vlis" <paul@vandervlis.nl> wrote:

> Martin Michlmayr schreef:
>> * Paul van der Vlis <paul@vandervlis.nl> [2010-01-08 15:29]:
>>> Can somebody advice me which hardware is nice for Squeeze?
>>> It's for a little server.
>>
>> IMHO the ARM-based NAS devices from QNAP have the best support in
>> squeeze, i.e. TS-110, TS-119, TS-210, TS-219P, etc.

I bought a TS-219P and with the newer debian kernels I haven't been
disappointed!

Throughput disk to memory is excellent for such a small device (raid 0
~120MB/s & raid 1 ~70MB/s Memory to NIC isn't bad either: IMHO there's
some work being done on jumbo transfers. ESATA is working decently:
fast enough for the occasional backup, alt least much faster than USB.
I rsync to it regularly. The only "problem" that I know of is the back-
side USB ports sometimes interupt on large transfers. The front-side
port is not effected.

If you're really concerned of power usage you could put in a pair of
2.5 inch disks. The device can be equiped with both 2.5 and 3.5 inch
disks w/o alteration.