Re: Multiarch and ABI support

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010, Hector Oron wrote:
> Surely you can patch FSF GCC or/and other compilers to support that a
> approach and still does not affect sysroot (just add ${SYSROOT} as
> prefix), but that decission is not to be taken on a Debian forum, but
> on FHS forums. IMO nothing we can do before releasing Squeeze.

 What I'm trying to point out is that basing a solution on sysroot
 doesn't allow yet to build cross-debs following either the Debian, the
 FHS, or the multiarch pathnames.  In any case, for cross-compilation we
 need to patch the compiler+linker pathnames, or give up on shipping the
 files in .debs.

 (I did not make my comments in the light of Squeeze.)

> > Using Debian as a build environment with a cross-compiler and sysroot
> > to generate a target rootfs is fine, but it's not very well suited for
> > generating a target Debian rootfs.
>
> Do you mind to expand why is not well suited for generating a target
> Debian rootfs?

 Well, how would you create .debs and how would install them to the
 chroot?  Perhaps I'm unaware of some nice tool to cross-build .debs
 into a -sysroot?

> In your opinion, what should we ship as cross compiling framework for
> Squeeze release?

 I don't want to make any recommendation, but I think dpkg-cross based
 approaches are the most mature; but I might be missing new approaches
 which I didn't read about

--
Loïc Minier