Re: armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant

Hello,

2010/7/10, Martin Guy <martinwguy@gmail.com>:
> Sure. So my question was "what are the technical impacts of the string
> chosen as an arch name?" -or- "What would make it 'wrong'"?

AFAICS, there are no technical impacts. If someone knows it better,
please expand.

> Sorry, I didn't mean that literal string, I meant changes to build
> scripts where the architecture name is fished out and matched against
> a pattern beginning with "arm", for example in shell script case
> statements or in Makefiles using that awful "findstring" syntax.

Like toolchain packages, those need patching. It might be wise to add
arm* instead "arm armel armeb" in some cases, where it fits.

> Even once the bootstrapping is done, adding a new architecture to
> Debian is a lot of work.

I know, but what should we do? Step back and use another distro for
hardfloating point? I think we are more than enough "capable" people
interested to bring this port to Debian.

BTW, thanks for the hints.

--
 Héctor Orón