Re: Debian installer for GuruPlug

Hi Martin,

thanks for your post and your work.
You asked me to give feedback on this Mailinglist. I hope it works.

I just tried your new instructions and here is my feedback:

----------
_My Setup_
Installing Debian on the mSD Card of a GuruPlug Plus.

Using the u-boot from plugcomputer.org
(http://www.plugcomputer.org/index.php/us/resources/downloads?func=select&id=15)
worked to boot the installer from usb drive.

Date of the installer files I used are:
uImage                                                08-Jun-2010 11:05  1.4M
uInitrd                                                  08-Jun-2010 11:06  2.5M

Env setup works as you describes it, but I had to make changes on the
usb load command.
On the guruplug the mSD card is device 0 and a usb disk will be device
1, so the correct commands for me were:
fatload usb 1:1 0x01100000 /uInitrd
fatload usb 1:1 0x00800000 /uImage

Repository worked as you described it.
What command would be required to install squeeze with the special kernel?

_Installation_

I formated my mSD Card as:
#1  primary  98.6 MB    f  ext2     /boot
#2  primary  15.8 GB    f  ext4     /

Both with noatime mount option to conserve the mSD card.
I didn't use a swap partition.

The installation process looks good, no errors and it finished with the reboot.

_Booting the Installation_

This part was not successful. The uboot-version I downloaded from
plugcomputer doesn't know the command ext2load.
I flashed the other uboot you mentioned from Clint Adams but the same again:

Marvell>> ext2load
Unknown command 'ext2load' - try 'help'

Marvell>> help
[...]
echo    - echo args to console
editenv - edit environment variable
fatinfo - print information about filesystem
fatload - load binary file from a dos filesystem
fatls   - list files in a directory (default /)

Marvell>> version

U-Boot 2010.03-01266-g42f7128 (May 23 2010 - 19:25:42)
Marvell-GuruPlug

Maybe some option would be to store the kernel in the nand as described here:
http://bzed.de/posts/2010/05/installing_debian_on_the_guruplug_server_plus/
Or to use fat for /boot/.
But on the long run we should get a uboot which supports ext2load :)

Kind regards

Kevin Zuber