Re: Trouble cloning NSLU2

Hi,

I have had issues with network interfaces naming, when cloning slugs.
Debian keeps track of the discovered network interfaces in /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules. The interface of the first nslu2 is probably still identified in this file by its name (eth0) and MAC address (which is hardware specific). Hence, the network interface of the *new* nslu2 got probably named eth1, which does not match the contents of /etc/network/interfaces.

To fix, edit /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules on the new nslu2 and comment out the lines ending with NAME="ethX" (with X=0,1,2...). On the next boot, the system will detect the interface and should name it eth0 correctly. A new line will then be appended to /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules. (Be careful: since you're using the same flash drive for the two devices, this WILL break networking on the first NSLU2...)

Note that this issue is not NSLU2 specific at all. But it can get hard to figure out when you have no console to check what's going wrong.

I hope it helps...

Pierre-Arnaud

А. Безгузов a écrit :
Hi!

I need to clone perfectly working Debian Lenny installation to
another NSLU2 device. I flashed firmware as in this HOWTO:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/clone.html, but after reboot
(using the same usb flash drive) device is not available via Ethernet.
Even ethernet LED on device and corresponding LED on network
switch are not lighted. I tried Lenny firmware image from here:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/files/armel/sda2-2.6.26-19
and got the same result. Any help appreciated.