Very newbe help/pointers required about building a distribution from scratch

Ok I'm quite a newbe to both Linux and "PC" development, however I know
what I want to do but don't know where to start!

What I'd like to know is how do I build a distribution entirely from
scratch/source like the pro's do.

ie. Get all the debian source for the latest arm port (just the source)
and then compile/build it till I have a working system.

Why would I want to do this? Well first of I want to optimize the final
code to specific processors (OMAP3530 and ARM926EJ-S) and also customise
the builds to use different application/graphic components such as
gnome, E17, samba, etc. I also figure this is a great way to learn about
Linux/debian and fixing any bugs will give me some insight into the
various languages (C/C++ specifically)

I'm sure there must be some product or methodoligy that the pro's use to
build debian distributions with different tweaks where the code has to
branch (eg, Ubuntu desktop V NBR) so that all the common code remains
common and some kinds of config files then set the options (some kind of
global system makefile? or .config file?)

Surely its not a case of downloading each package source manually,
checking that all the dependents are downloaded, then manually doing a
make config / make / make install for each and every package and having
one directory structure for each distribution?

Any pointers would be welcome as google is not my friend as I can't find
anything about taking a current distribution and compiling the whole.
(it did find stuff about making packages, and rebuilding an already
installed distribution, both of which are not what I want, lol)

JonXx