Re: Which file system to use?

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 08:57:08 -0300, Douglas Lopes Pereira wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> According to Martin's we should format our USB stick or SD card using
> EXT2 file system. I was wondering if I can use UBIFS instead (I don't
> see any reasons not use it) but first I would like to count on yours
> expertise.
>
> Is there any advantage on using EXT2 instead of UBIFS?
>
> Is UBIFS more appropriate for flash memory like USB sticks and SD
> cards? Will UBIFS balance IO operations to preserve my SD card (I
> mean, will it write my files in all the 'extension' of my SD and not
> in only one point)?

Although I have no practical experience with either UBIFS or JFFS2, from
what I've read on
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html#L_raw_vs_ftl it would
appear impossible to use UBIFS on a regular USB or SD card drive, as they
have a hardware mapping layer that hides the NAND flash characteristics
behind a block level emulation layer.

So I guess sticking with EXT2 is sound advice. (Although I recall reading
 somewhere that some USB stick vendors were suspected of optimizing their
wear leveling algorithms for FAT filesystems)