Etch->Lenny upgrade gone bad

I am hoping for some help with a problem, an "aptitude full-upgrade" gone bad. The history:

  1. Two NSLU2s (hence "slugs", of course), stock (unturboed, unfat)
  2. One runs Lenny, installed from the Debian installer
  3. The other runs Etch, also installed from the Debian installer back
     in the day (I helped diagnose issues with ssh timeouts - see the
     wiki); has an 8GB swap partition (more on this later)
  4. I decide, "time to upgrade the Etch slug"
  5. Update sources.list to point to Lenny [1]
  6. aptitude update
  7. aptitude full-upgrade
  8. watch the oom-killer whack aptitude, many times, in different and
     terrifying ways; go back to step 6, or sometimes do a "dpkg
     --configure -a", if it tells me it needs that
  9. try adding more swap (1GB via dd and mkswap) - problem gets worse
     (for in retrospect obvious reasons [2])
 10. create 256MB swap file; swapon 256MB file, swapoff 8GB partition
     and 1GB file
 11. watch aptitude (and a dpkg --configure -a) "smoothly" finish the
     upgrade, including:
         :
     Setting up build-essential (11.4) ...
     Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
     update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-ixp4xx
     Flashing kernel: done.
     Flashing initramfs: done.
     sh-3.2#
 12. install locales it hadn't been there, and I'm not sure if it was
     the victim of the oom-killer or wasn't there in etch for some
     reason; my logs are full of:
     Setting up <some-module> (X.yy) ...
     perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
             LANGUAGE = (unset),
             LC_ALL = (unset),
             LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
     locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or
     directory
     locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
     directory
     locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
 13. aptitude update; aptitude  safe-upgrade; - Yay! - it says I don't
     need any more stuff!
 14. check my ethernet config; looks OK
 15. sync; sync; # deep breath
 16. reboot
 17. wait; and wait; nothing; no ping response; lights are on green
     Disk 1 and Ready/System LEDs; except for a brief time at power up,
     no Ethernet LED activity
 18. power down hard; plug disk in to workstation; look at var/log/,
     and nothing is modified since reboot
 19. plug back into slug and try again; after a while, only Disk 1 LED
     is lit

That's a lot of steps. I'm guessing that I ended up with a bad flash. At least I haven't lost the data on the drive (yet).

I mentioned that I have a "good" Lenny slug. I'm hoping there's a clever way for me to flash its vmlinuz (and anything else from the good Lenny install) to the former-Etch slug. I'm open to other suggestions; I haven't tried (yet) plugging my etch->lenny disk to the good lenny box; aside from MAC address and IP address, is there system-specific information in the flashed data?

In fact, I happen to have a third slug - still in box - and I'd love to have a clever way to clone one of the other two without having to go through the full Debian Installer (or the even slower aptitude [full|safe]-upgrade process). Seems that if my problem is indeed a bad flash, I could use that technique and some judicious disk copying to create new versions. But that's a different topic...

Sorry for a long first post here; I've had worry-free slug operation in the past, and thought I had the ducks in a row. Thanks for any ideas,

-Del

[1] These steps are somewhat abridged, actually. So there's possibly something else I did that didn't help. [2] Turns out I should have read about swap space and Linux more closely; bigger swap puts *more* pressure on low-memory and hastens the onset of the oom-killer. *sigh*