Re: using kernels bigger than 1966080 bytes on the nslug with slugimage

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:10:43AM +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have a weird problem trying to build a d-i-nslu2.bin image with
> slugimage that is supposed to carry a kernel binary of a size of 1978300
> bytes ...
>
> as i understand by looking at the d-i code that generates di-nslu2.bin
> there are 49 blocks of 131072 bytes each available for the kernel and
> initramfs.
> using the same commands as used in debian-installer in
> build/config/armel/ixp4xx/netboot.cfg manually i can roll a working
> image as long as my kernel partition doesnt exceed 15 blocks (1966080
> bytes) ...
> as soon as i switch to 16 blocks (2097152 bytes which is needed for the
> above kernel size) apex gets stuck at copying the kernel, after a day of
> digging top to bottom through slugimage and apex i still dont understand
> why this limitation exists, could someone enlighten me ?

I responded to L. Minier with the suggestion that you move the load
address for the kernel to something after APEX.  Try 0x01000000.  You
could also change the VMA address for APEX to be 3MiB from the base of
RAM instead of 2MiB.