Re: Test images for Debian lenny rc2 available

        Hey

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Just to let you know that test images of the second release candidate
> (rc2) of the installer for Debian 5.0 (lenny) are now available.  You
> can download the images from
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/installer-armel/current/images/

 I had short access to a NSLU2 last week and tested the images from:
    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armel/current/images/ixp4xx/netboot/

 I was using a serial console and I first wanted to not touch the flash
 at all; I connected to RedBoot and loaded kernel and initrd over HTTP
 as follows:
    load -r -v -b 0x01d00000 -h 192.168.0.12 -m http /kernel
    load -r -v -b 0x01000000 -h 192.168.0.12 -m http /initrd

 and attempted to start as:
    exec -c "root=/dev/ram0 rw rootfstype=ext2 initrd=0x01000000,10M noirqdebug mem=32M@0x00000000 console=ttyS0,115200n8" 0x01d00000

 but I never had any output past this point, it just hangs.   :-/
 [ With the current Ubuntu kernel, I get boot messages but the kernel
 doesn't honor the "exec" cmdline above and uses the builtin one for
 some reason -- hints welcome!  This seems to indicate that at least the
 Debian kernel should be outputting something though. ]

 However, I also flashed the released Debian firmware image and it
 worked fine!  One weird thing is that the SSH key generation remained
 at 0% until it was complete (no progress feedback), but that's ok.

 I wonder whether it's possible to continue the installation over serial
 port and not over SSH?  (perhaps to the point where I could load the
 firmware from a remote place)

--
Loïc Minier