From: Wookey [mailto:wookey@wookware.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 4:28 AM
To: debian-arm@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: How to install iceweasel on a Linux device without using
Debian installer?

+++ Weidong Li [2009-02-03 15:33 -0800]:
> Hi, Bill,
>
> Thanks for your advice!
>
> >From the Makefile in the src dir, I can find some info.  But there
are
> too many of them and I suspect they are not used for real installation
> on embedded devices.
>
> Now I have a released version of *.deb package of the browser for ARM,
> but the Debian tools are not available on the small device.  What is
the
> best way to install it?

You can just unpack the contents of debs using ar and tar/gunzip. If you
unpack the contents of iceweasel and all its dependencies then that
has a fighting chance of just working. The bit you will have missed is
all the install scripts. You might want to examine those to see if
they do anything important that the browser needs.

to unpack: ar -x packagename.deb.  This will give two tarballs
control.tar.gz and data.tar.gz. data.tar.gz is the files that the
package actually installs. control.tar.gz is teh debian control
install files.

so
cd /
ar -x packagename.deb
tar -zxvf data.tar.gz

is the first thing to try.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/