RE: How to install iceweasel on a Linux device without using Debian installer?

Hi, Bill,

Thanks for your advice!

>From the Makefile in the src dir, I can find some info.  But there are
too many of them and I suspect they are not used for real installation
on embedded devices.

Now I have a released version of *.deb package of the browser for ARM,
but the Debian tools are not available on the small device.  What is the
best way to install it?  In general, am I supposed to also get a version
of the Debian tool to put on the ARM device before I can cleanly install
the iceweasel on it?

Weidong

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Gatliff [mailto:bgat@billgatliff.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 4:28 PM
To: Weidong Li
Cc: debian-arm@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: How to install iceweasel on a Linux device without using
Debian installer?

Weidong Li wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to iceweasel and its dependency libraries on an ARM-based
> Linux device which does not have all those Debian tools. Can anyone
> give me some advice on how to install it manually?

Well, there's probably a Makefile in the source code somewhere... :)

But seriously, in the past I've debootstrapped a debian environment for
the target, plugged my binaries into it, and then started rm'ing the
stuff that kept it from fitting into the hardware.

I wouldn't recommend that approach in the general case, but as a one-off

it's tolerable. Advice: take good notes, because there really never is
such a thing as a "one-off". :)

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff