Re: second-stage bootloader for Thecus N2100?

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009, Paul Jakma wrote:
> - have a fallback option (though, this would require modifying some
>   state shared between loader and booted environment which, ideally,
>   would be in NVRAM - is that possible with redboot?)

 Not sure what you mean here; if your kernel panics, it just sits here
 and doesn't give back control to the boot loader or previous kernel
 AFAIK; I don't know whether you can get control back in the kexec case,
 but I suspect not in all cases.

>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2009-January/027229.html
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/ARMSoftbootLoader
>
> Why build a new environment? Why not use the standard Debian initram?
> What modifications are needed other than to go down a 'read and offer
> boot menu and kexec' path instead of flipping to the root dev?

 The initramfs idea came later, and we also explored that a little as I
 mentionned (Oliver's script); kboot and petitboot were existing
 implementations, petitboot for instance has a graphical menu.  But in
 end, kboot doesn't seem too active and petitboot was a bit too PS3
 specific IIRC (but probably decent).

--
Loïc Minier