Re: Update APEX for fatted nslu2 (FatSlug)

Asier wrote:
> I own a fantastic NSLU2 device and have installed Debian on it some months
> working pretty well, but 32 MB of main memory isn't enough so I fatted it
> with two 64MB modules, so it has 128 MB of main memory.

Note that at the moment, you'll only be able to use 64MB maximum without
memory problems (you get out of memory errors on USB disk transactions).
 There's work going on in linux-arm-kernel to fix this, but that's the
current status.  Search for 'dmabounce' or my email address in the
kernel bugzilla for details.

> Memory isn't recognized. I can reinstall debian/armel with the
> slug-firmware.net image, but because of APEX version it only recognizes 32
> MB, so I must upgrade APEX to more recent version.

You need an APEX version more recent than 1.5.13, and you need to run
two apex commands on startup.

Precompiled APEX images are at http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/kernel/

> (my nslu2 doesn't have serial port)

You should be able to flash those directly into the appropriate mtd
partition (make sure it's not the RedBoot partition, or else you'll
permanently brick your device).  However, it will need a 16 byte header
prepended - best to use slugimage to pack a new image and then flash the
complete image.

-- Rod