Re: lenny armel qnap network write performance

Hi

> * Richard <mr.resistor@gmail.com> [2008-12-09 17:44]:
> > i have been running a QNAP TS-209 with lenny (installer worked
> > good), and all is well, apart from poor network write speeds. i have
> > an NFS4 share on the server and i can read fine at ~10 MB/sec, but
> > the write speed is ~3.5 MB/sec. i tested the write speed with samba
> > just to make sure this was not an NFS issue, and it was even worse,
> > ~1.5 MB/sec. this is from a linux client (Ubuntu 8.10) and OSX.
> >
> > can anyone give me any hints to improve this? i used to get 10
> > MB/sec writes on my old DNS-323, which is pretty much the same
> > hardware, so cannot believe this is as good as it can get//
>
> I guess the real issue here is the low hard drive performance, which
> is caused by lack of proper support for the DMA engine in the mainline
> kernel (as used by Debian).

I also made the leap to Debian on my TS-209 a few days ago and I'm still copying back data from my external USB drive. I found the fastest way to do it was not to plug it into the USB port of the QNap, but to plug it into another computer and ftp all data.

Anyway, the QNap firmware uses the DMA engine, and the source code for (at least an old version of) that firmware can be found at:

http://www.qnap.com/download_detail.asp?pl=1&p_mn=TS-209%20Pro&ct_name=Technical%20Document

It is based on an old 2.6.12 kernel but in the arch/arm/ subdir there's a dir called mach-mv88fxx81 which (if I'm not mistaken) is the hardware of the TS-209. I'm afraid I'm too new to linux kernel building and the changes since that kernel but I guess someone else with more experience would be able to merge that code into a newer kernel.

Since my QNap is still in a pretty experimental state and I still have all data backed up, I could do some field testing, but I would at least need some guidance as to how to build a kernel using that code.

	Magnus