Re: kirkwood mv643xx_eth wrong tcp checksums

Martin Michlmayr wrote on 24.11.2009 12:32:
> flash-kernel expects the kernel to end in -kirkwood.  Rename
> 2.6.32-rc8 to 2.6.32-rc8-kirkwood and it should work.

thanks, the new kernel is running right now.
Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the patched ethernet
module. I patched mv643xx_eth.c not to pass frames >1522 to the hardware
checksum engine as supposed by Lennert. But now the system freezes as
soon as I issue the command to set a mtu >1500 (ifconfig eth0 mtu 4000).
It does not respond to any kind of network traffic anymore and there is
no more hdd access caused by running applications either. I guess this
might be a kernel panic but I cannot say for sure since I do not have
access to the serial console and there a no entries in /var/log after
freezing.

I'm sorry that I can't provide you any details but without any log
entries I have no idea what's going on.
So vanilla kernel produces bad checksums due to hw crc and the idea of
skipping hw crc for jumbo frames ends up in kernel crashes. Maybe it's a
bit more difficult than just adding the "or length >1522". However, I do
not know how they made it but the original qnap firmware was able to
handle jumbo frames correctly.