Re: Linux wont boot after Apex is replaced

* Steinar Midtskogen <steinar@latinitas.org> [2009-05-28 08:48]:
> Thanks to Martin Michlmayr who solved my recent root mount problem.  I
> have one more problem.  My NSLU2 has 64 MB (replaced memory chips, not
> stacked), so I replaced Apex using the instructions at
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/FatSlug in order to get Apex to
> detect it all: I used slugimage to replace Apex with
> http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/kernel/apex-debian-nslu2-arm-1.5.14.bin
>
> The new Apex detects 64 MB now, but it's unable to boot Linux.  It
> loads the kernel, prints "done, booting the kernel" then halts.  The
> memory is good, I've run OpenSlug with 64 MB previously.
>
> I reinstalled and downloaded the mtdblock2 image posted by Marc Singer:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-arm@lists.debian.org/msg09293.html
>
> I cat'ed it to /dev/mtdblock2 and rebooted.  Again the new Apex
> detected all the memory, but Linux still wont boot, it halts after
> "done, booting the kernel".

I cannot help you with that, but hopefully Marc can.

> And, how can I go back to my old Apex which boots Linux (with 32 MB)
> without reinstalling Debian?  If I reflash the official image, it
> boots the installer.  I also copied /dev/mtdblock2 after installation
> and reflashed using that, but it still loads the installer.

If you flash the official image of the installer, it will start the
installer.  What you want to do is make a backup of the flash after
the installation:
  cat /dev/mtdblock? > flash
Then you can unpack that and replace APEX and flash it again with
upslug2.

In order to get into your existing system without reinstalling, you
can start the installer and proceed to the partitioner, then go to the
menu and do:

mkdir -p /target
mount /dev/sda2 /target
mount /dev/sda1 /target/boot
mount -t bind /dev /target/dev
mount -t proc none /target/proc
chroot /target /bin/sh
# the prompt will change
update-initramfs -u
exit
# the prompt will change again as you're leaving the chroot
umount /target/proc
umount /target/dev
umount /target/boot
umount /target
reboot

This will write the ramdisk to flash that will start Debian from disk.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/