Install Debian/armel with a custom kernel

Hello,

I have tried to install Debian/armel with a custom kernel by following
this instruction:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Arm/OtherPlatforms ,
but instead of using uimage of initrd, I have added "root=/dev/sdb1 rw" to bootargs, where sdb1 is a partition where I have unpacked (gzip+cpio) initrd.gz with Debian's netinstall.

My ARM machine (Lacie NAS) loads kernel perfectly, but startup process ends here:

[...]
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) on device 8:17.
Freeing init memory: 136K
Setting up filesystem, please wait ...
pivot_root: Not a directory

I think that problem is in proper settings of /dev/sdb1/sbin/init, but I have no idea how to change it to make it work properly....

Could you help me?

Pozdrawiam,
moner