Re: spindown no longer working after upgrade from etch -> lenny

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:10:54PM +0100, Markus Ulbricht wrote:
> thanks for the answer.
> Since spindown was working properly with debian etch
> the noatime mount option was already set.
> So I still guess something with hddtemp is now built
> into the kernel?
> If I send the hdd to spindown with
>
> /usr/bin/sg_start 0 /dev/sda

Is that the right command to be using?  I'm using hdparm on my SATA drives
(DNS-323) and it's working nicely.

> it wakes up after about 4 or 5 minutes and I need
> to check out which process might be responsible for that.
>
> Can give me anyone a hint what I have to check?

sar -d 30 0

and wait for the drives to spin back up.  That'll tell you if it's reads or
writes that are doing the damage, and (if you've got several partitions)
which of them is responsible.  If there isn't any visible IO, then yeah,
it's possible that it's some sort of lower-level thing going on, but it's
contrary to my knowedge of the kernel philosophy to put stuff like
temperature monitoring into kernel space.  I'd almost certainly say it's
something in userspace doing it's periodic thing.

- Matt