Re: hard drive connected to the slug

Bill Gatliff schrieb am Freitag, 26. September 2008 22:35:
> Michael Glockenstein wrote:
> > Hello,
> > some weeks ago I reported an error where my drive makes strange sounds like
> > spinning up in 6 or 7 sequences, then noise, then spinning up again and the
> > slug did respond anymore for login. Because nobody replied, I thought it was
> > a one time accident, but three days before it happended again :-(
> > So now I think about a solution the slug running all the time instead of shut it down
> > in the evening and wake up in the morning. I have connected a 3.5" hd to port 1
> > with an external power supply in the moment. But this is power consuming too much.
> > Is it possible to have a 2.5" notebook hd without external power supply connected
> > to the slug and the usb port spends enough energy for that drive?
> > Regards Michael
> >

> Might be the drive recalibrating its head-positioning hardware, which signals a
> failing drive.  Very non-repeatable, at least until whatever is prompting the
> event dies completely.  :(
>
> Regardless of the answer to your question, I'd procure a backup storage source
> and put it to work right now.  And don't shut the ailing drive down until you
> have all the data safely off of it--- it might not restart.

I think we speek about different problems. My HD seems still okay. The spinning sound
started after the boot sequence and never stopped (with short intervalls of silence
inbetween), this happened two times. Access to the system was not possible anymore,
so too late for a backup, but no problem, I make one every day at the moment, because
still in testing time. So I had to remove the power supply, made an file system check
at the PC and drive is starting again and the system is working properly.
I have no idea how I can find out if this a hardware or software problem, there were
no information in the log files.
Regards Michael