Re: Debian lenny on the QNAP TS-209 II

Morten O. Hansen wrote:
> And it told me to reboot. After i did this, nothing more really
> happend. The status icon is blinking, which is (according to the
> manual):
> Blink in green: Hard disk not detected; Hard disk not initialized.

Not sure exactly where you got that from, but AFAIK that's not what
blinking green means at all, at least not when running the installer.
If you're referring to the manualfrom QNAP, then you'd probably do best to
bury that at the bottom of some random stack of papers: it's essentially
useless as soon as you're not running their software anymore.

You don't mention which installation method you use, but from your
comments I'd guess the "Starting the Installer on an Uninitialized
System" method.

The default state of the led is flashing red. We change that to flashing
green as soon as the Debian kernel has been successfully booted and the
initialization (start up scripts) of the installer has finished.
So that would indicate that you did flash the installer correctly.

What the installer does next is set up networking and start up its
network-console component to enable you to log into the installer over
SSH. At the point you can login to the installer the led is changed to
fixed green.

So basically, the hard disk is not used at all in this early stage and
nothing is flashed yet by the installer. The problem is most likely to be
in the network setup here. Could it be some problem with your DCHP server
config (if you have one)?

A serial console will show you what the installer is doing during those
early stages.

Cheers,
FJP