Re: Recommended compile flags for Lenny armel on NSLU2

On 9/22/08, Alan Snelgrove <alansnelgrove@mac.com> wrote:
 CFLAGS=" -O4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -mcpu=xscale
-mabi=aapcs-linux -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=vfp"
-mabi=aapcs-linux is the default for armel

You may find that you get better performance from -O2, which performs
all speed optimisations that do not significantly increase the size of
the generated code. Or even from -Os, come to that.
Looking at the GCC machine descriptions, I doubt that -ffast-math
actually does anything on ARM.

While the '-mfloat-abi=softfp' option compiling MPlayer OK it reported
"Illegal instruction" when run.
Xscales don't have a VFP floating point coprocessor, so that's correct.

But when I used '-mfloat-abi=soft' it compiled and runs OK.
-mfloat-abi=soft is also the default in armel

 Mplayer doesn't detect ARMv5TE unless CFLAGS contains '-mcpu=xscale'
Yes, the Debian compiler has been patched to default to armv4t, so
that any package you compile will run on any Debian armel system.

Thanks for you reply Martin,
It did not cross my mind that the Debian compiler had been patched for armel.

So the -mfpu=vfp and -mcpu=xscale may still be useful?

Alan