Re: NSLU2 won't reboot after recent etch upgrade

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 13:17, Heinrich Hiemesch
<heinrich.hiemesch@online.de> wrote:

> After I upgraded some days ago my slug running Debian Etch 4.03r using
> apt-get upgrade the slug hangs during reboot. Status led yellow,
> Ehternet blinking, Disk 1 + 2 off. Ok, maybe fsck running, I waited
> for over an hour but nothing changed.
>
> Then I copied a previously saved /boot - folder to the actual /boot -
> folder. The slug started normally. My sda ( a 4 GB stick) is
> partitioned as follows:

If copying a previously saved version of /boot to the your /boot
partition really solved the problem, then problem couldn't have been
with the kernel or the initramfs, because the kernel and initramfs
that are used during boot are stored in the NSLU2 flash memory:
copying them to /boot without running flash-kernel would have made no
difference to your system. It sounds like your system either had a
problem mounting a hard drive or the system got stuck during an fsck.
Was there any drive activity when the NSLU2 appeared inactive? Also,
did you set FSCKFIX=yes in /etc/default/rcS according to the hints in
/usr/share/doc/nslu2-utils/README.Debian? If not, you may like to do
this on your reinstalled system.

 - Unless you have a serial console, it's a good idea to edit
   /etc/default/rcS and set FSCKFIX=yes, to prevent fsck problems from
   hanging your boot waiting for you to press "y" on a nonexistant console.

> Today I had to reboot the slug due to a problem with the usb hub which
> connects two hdds and another stick (swap) to the slug - and the slug
> hangs again. I then tried the solution of Martin Michelmayr posted

It is possible that your root disk changed device name, e.g. from sda
to sdb. If your partitions in /etc/fstab are listed by device name
(e.g. sda, sdb, etc), then your system would not have been able to
find your root disk, and the boot would have failed. Have a look at
the troubleshooting page on the NSLU2 wiki [1] under the section "The
slug fails to reboot with 2 drives connected" for some suggestions on
how to avoid this problem.

> *I* will never, never again upgrade the kernel or initramfs.

Your choice, but kernel releases for etch contain security updates, so
if you have your NSLU2 exposed to the outside world, you should
consider installing the updates.

Gordon

[1] http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/TroubleShooting

--