RE: [E1000-devel] Supporting platforms with no EEPROM?

Bill Gatliff wrote:
> John Winters wrote:
>> Bill Gatliff wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> The MAC Address will be reset to 00:00:00:00:00:00, which is invalid
>>> and requires you to set the proper MAC address manually before
>>> continuing
>>> to enable this network device.

the Linux kernel actually can make up a mac address for you, there is
even a standard call to do so.

we don't officially support eepromless designs in our normal drivers
(most embedded users expect to modify their drivers).  I know that there
is some test patches to allow the eepromless set up in our drivers, that
our TME teams have been working on.

>> [snip]
>>> To date, the only way I've seen around this is to just hack out the
>>> code in the e1000 driver that deals with the EEPROM and MAC
>>> addresses.  Is there any plan for cleanly handling no-EEPROM
>>> platforms, or am I into "undiscovered territory" here?  I'm willing
>>> to submit patches once I find a minimally-invasive and robust
>>> solution, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel...

we don't want to support this in the default drivers, but maybe we could
in the kernel with a Kconfig option that defaulted to off.

>> Can't you just put a made-up MAC address into
>> /etc/network/interfaces? Like this:
>>
>> allow-hotplug eth0
>> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>> 	hwaddress ether 00:07:95:09:c4:96
>>
>> Don't use that one (IIRC, it belongs to a Mini-ITX board in my
>> cupboard).  Ideally use the original one configured for the unit.
>
> One could, but that won't work for root-over-NFS.

can't the driver parse the cmdline from boot and see if there is a MAC
address supplied?  That would definitely be something specific to your
setup since it is handled by redboot.

Jesse