Re: R: beep on slug

Hi Samuele

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:30, Samuele Bianchi
<pizzulicchio@mail2web.com> wrote:
> Hi to all.
> Currently in my nslu2 with debian lenny, if i write :
> leds beep
> my slug doesn't respond anymore and it begins to play a strange sound with
> various frequency from the internal speaker.

I also get a short muffled buzz when I run "leds beep", but the system
doesn't not stop responding. If I do

/usr/bin/beep -e /dev/input/event0

I get a clean sounding tone. It looks like /usr/bin/leds hard codes
the device as /dev/input/event1, but it seems that it should be event0
because event1 does not exist on my NSLU2.

According to the changelog of nslu2-utils, version 20080403-1 changed
the default device from event0 to event1.

nslu2-utils  (20080403-1) unstable; urgency=low
   [ Joey Hess ]
   * Beep using /dev/input/event1, not event0. This seems right with
     both kernel versions I tested (2.6.24 and 2.6.25).

It looks like a bug has already been filed about this problem [1].
According to this bug report, one can do

beep -e /dev/input/by-path/platform-ixp4xx-beeper*

which works on my system.

Martin/Joey, can we get this fixed before lenny is released?

Gordon

Gordon Farquharson
GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676