Re: [OT] Hard disk recommendation for NSLU2

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:20:56 -0500
Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> allegedly wrote:

> The market of external hard disks is overwhelming, and I was just
> wondering if you could, based on your experience, suggest anything to
> consider (or NOT consider) when it comes to the brand or make of the
> hard disk. I am looking for external hard disks, not necessarily
> portable, in the 250GB (or much more) range. The primary use of the
> disk is with the Slug running Debian for data storage, but I want to
> try out some other things (like running light servers) on it.

Kumar

I can recommend Lacie 500 Gig disks - the ones in a black
housing, without a power switch. They are quiet, cheap, reliable and
don't get too hot. Stay away from the "designed by Porsche" version
housed in a silver enclosure which has a power switch at the back. I
have one of those and it sounds like a turbo prop aircraft when
running. It also has a particularly large power brick (instead of the
smaller wall wart used by the other Lacies.

I have two, each attached to Slugs running Debian Lenny 24x7. I paid
about £70 each for mine. But they are now available for around
£60. See
http://www.nextag.co.uk/LaCie-500GB-DESKTOP-Hard-568677080/uk/prices-html

Mick

The text file for RFC 854 contains exactly 854 lines.
Do you think there is any cosmic significance in this?

Douglas E Comer - Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume 1

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc854.txt