Re: Debian kernel package for linkstation pro

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
* Tim Small <tim@buttersideup.com> [2008-07-27 15:01]:
. Patch the mainline initramfs code in a nice way, so that it'll
work  with any lspro firmware version - and hope the kernel
maintainers accept  the patch (which they might, as the current code
is arguably a bit broken).

Are you going to go ahead and report this issue?  If you don't have
the time, I can go ahead and do it.

Hmm, I think in order to stand a chance of getting it fixed, you'd probably need to submit a patch - as this would require a reasonable time investment, without a guarantee of it getting accepted, I wonder if it might not be best just to fix the problem in user space? It would probably be easier to create an initrd which deletes the faulty nvram setting, (and upgrades the firmware to a known-good version if necessary, whilst guaranteeing not to downgrade it).

You'd just need to document this as a necessary prerequisite for the Debian install.... This would also have the side effect of creating an easy way to upgrade the firmware without the use of Windows.

Cheers,

Tim.