Re: Daily installer image available for QNAP TS-109, TS-209 and TS-409

First report !

Success :)

I've succesfully installed my qnap ts209 II (the model with 256 Mb of
ram).  The installation process was pretty smooth. I didn't install the
proprietary system, so I copied the kernel and initrd image (busybox
avalaible on the basic system has wget ...) on the ram disk and flushed
the disk. The installer that I tried does not handle raid1 + lvm
automatically so you need to run the partitioner manually and first
configure the raid1 array and the lvm. Martin told me that this is fixed
in more recent versions of the installer. If something goes wrong, you
can restart the installer as many time as you need...

Moreover since I wanted to have full encryption (swap, system, data) and
I didn't want to risk to brick my box as I don't have a serial console,
I ended up installing a very basic non-encrypted system as /dev/md0 and
then the full system in /dev/md1 with luks + lvm.

My strategy is then to ssh on the basic system, unlock the luks
partition and invoking pivot_root + init on the "real" system. I didn't
finish this part yet... I still have some problem with calling init 2
and I'm not sure how to debug it...

The details are 200 Mb for the base system (you need to have a temporary
var directory to download and install the base system) and the rest is
basically 1Gb swap, 5Gb system, the rest for my data.

Martin told me that there are patchs avalaible to do the same but using
dropbear in the initrd disk ... but it's not ready yet.

hope this helps.

:)